5 Tips to Save $1,000
My challenge to you is to escape the trap that nearly 70% of Americans are in: Living with less than $1,000 in savings! Here are a few more tips to find that $1,000 and put it away for future emergencies.
- Cut cable. I have friends who spend more than $100 per month for their cable TV package. If you cut the cable you can easily find $600 in savings to put away.
2. Cut down on data. Your mobile phone is likely a place to save lots of money. Consider going to a non-smart phone to stop paying for all the data expenses. Possibly go to a simpler contract to limit your use to what is necessary. Getting the kids a flip phone vs. a smart phone is another place to save money.
3. Adjust your thermostat to reduce your utility costs. By being slightly less warm or cold in your house, you can save money every month. During the nice weather months, shut down the central units and open the windows.
4. Go to a cash only program for all of your shopping. Research shows you will spend far less using cash, keep up with your budget more easily, and find ways to keep back some cash each month by handling it daily vs. using plastic.
5. Look for opportunities to earn extra money. Can you bake, cook, sew, draw, tutor, teach music lessons, take great pictures? You likely have a talent or skill for which others are willing to pay! By turning an existing talent into extra income, you can earn your way to that extra $1,000 you need to set aside.