Allison Martin at MoneyTalksNews.com reports that it’s the small expenses that add up to blow a budget and ruin a spending plan. There are several main culprits.
- Food is one of the biggest expenditures in America. If you spend $10 a day for lunch, that quickly adds up to $200 per month! Stop! Buy a cool lunch tote, pack your food, and start a new trend at your workplace. Snacks and daily treats also drain the budget. Stock up on healthy items to carry with you and treat yourself to that special coffee only on special occasions.
2. Gasoline can be a guzzler, so plan ahead and combine errands, carpool, use public transportation, or walk.
3. Late fees on payments, Redbox, or the library can add up if you’re not careful. Keep items you need to return near your keys or in the car so you can easily drop them off when you’re out. Check your bank balances and always keep some cash on hand so you aren’t paying for overdrafts and ATM fees.
4. Your cell phone plan. If you are accruing extra charges, going over on your data, or paying for more than you need, call your provider and find a more cost-effective option.
5. Pampering may need to be curtailed. You may need to do your own nails, forgo the lowlights or highlights, and learn to cut the family’s hair. Postpone spa services until you have reached your financial goal. Instead, do like I did when my children were young. Pay them a quarter for a neck rub, foot or hand massage.
If you are fearful, discouraged and feel like a failure, remember this. The Lord spoke through his prophet Isaiah in chapter 41 verse 10. “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Trust Him.
Another great piece of advice is to start in our online personal finance class. You will learn practical and Biblical principles for managing money that will set you on an entirely new path!
Crown Financial Ministries is a 501c3 nonprofit organization supported by donor funding and product sales. Our mission is to train God’s followers to be good and faithful stewards in their personal finances and career. Read more about Crown’s ministry in action here.
Our team strives to provide high-quality, relevant content like these blogs and other free resources to help you on your journey to true financial freedom. If you have been helped or encouraged today, please consider supporting Crown’s ministry by making a donation.