Finding creative ways to increase your income has become an increasingly important step in navigating the workforce and personal finance. It can help you develop and sharpen skills to add value to your current job, and provide financial margin to accomplish future goals, such as saving, investing, and paying off debt.
If you’re looking for some ways to increase your income, here are practical steps to get started. Some of these are supplementary, but there are others that could provide you a full-time salary.
First, have a grateful attitude. Thank the Lord for the opportunity to trust Him during this time. Ask Him to reveal talents or skills He has blessed you with and how you can use them for His glory. Cling to Jeremiah 32:27: Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?
Second, answer these questions:
- Analyze your talents, skills, and experience. How could you use them creatively? Crown’s career assessment can help you understand your unique design and God-given skill set better.
- Pay attention to and ask your neighbors, coworkers, family, and friends. What services are they willing to pay for? What needs do they have?
- What kind of work excites you? What could you begin doing quickly?
- What hours can you work without stressing your family? Will you have childcare needs? Will you need to drive or travel?
- Can you do the work without compromising your faith and values? Is the work a way to bring mutual blessing? Will you intentionally seek to glorify God through your work?
Next, decide what industry you want to focus on. (I do not endorse any of these but simply offer the following resources do your own research before engaging):
There are many business opportunities with daily advances in the technology industries. If you have certain skills there are many freelance opportunities in the tech space to pursue:
- Graphic designer (find side jobs or contract work on Upwork.com)
- App designer
- Test prep instructor
- Web developer
- Social media manager
- Photographer or videographer
- Create, buy and sell (or resell) domain names (see auctions.godaddy.com)
- Sound engineering (many churches look for a skilled engineer for weekend services)
- Etsy business
With technological advances also comes a desire for more to be “automated” or hands-off, which means many people are willing to pay for daily “lifestyle” services.
- Babysit or nanny (sites like Care.com can help you find the right family)
- Clean houses, offices, or rental properties
- Meal prep, grocery shop, or cook for a family (check out services like Instacart or GrubHub)
- House or pet sit (check sites like Rover.com or Wag)
- Run errands for busy moms and professionals
- Organize closets, kitchens, homes, and offices
- Do yard work, mow lawns, rake leaves, and clean pet-owner’s lawns
- Pick up extra cash through companies like Honey Do Services
- Use your car to make extra money driving for Lyft or Uber
- Rent your house, condo, or apartment for travelers through sites like Airbnb or VRBO
- Tutor students or adults
- Teach exercise classes or offer personal training
- Sell garden produce and flowers
- Start a catering business for parties and events
- Become a translator or sign language interpreter
- Become a freelance event planner, fashion consultant, interior design consultant, or make up artist
- Check FlexJobs for other ideas and opportunities to freelance
Remember, taxes have to be paid on earned income. So, organize your business in order to have everything you need to file early.
I would highly recommend taking the Career Direct Assessment and meeting with a consultant before taking on any extra jobs or changing your current one.
In all your efforts, remember Colossians 3:23-24: “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.”
Crown Financial Ministries is a 501c3 nonprofit organization supported by donor funding and product sales. Our mission is to train God’s followers to be good and faithful stewards in their personal finances and career. Read more about Crown’s ministry in action here.
Our team strives to provide high-quality, relevant content like these blogs and other free resources to help you on your journey to true financial freedom. If you have been helped or encouraged today, please consider supporting Crown’s ministry by making a donation.