Looking for a New Job
Looking for a new job?
Working as unto the Lord includes preparing for an interview. Viewing work as an opportunity to glorify Him should motivate us to prepare well for an interview in the hopes of being remembered at hiring time.
Consider these tips for making a great impression at your first interview:
- Eye contact, a firm handshake, and good posture are essential.
- Dress nicely, professionally and modestly, avoiding distracting jewelry, hairdos, or strong perfume.
- Be aware of your body language!
- Come alert and prepared.
- Arrive 10-15 min early with extra copies of your resume.
- Research the industry and the interviewer and demonstrate interest with informed answers and pertinent questions.
- Be able to state what attracts you to the company, how the position fits your career desires, and how the work of company leaders inspires you. Where you see yourself in 2-10 years? Remember to take notes.
- Be humble and have a good attitude. Appearing arrogant or too eager says you may be hard to manage.
- Listen well and do not interrupt. Show appreciation to the interviewer. He or she could be the link to another company and you may cross paths in the future.
- Email or write a thank-you within 24-48 hours.
If you’re faced with disappointments, don’t get discouraged. Remember, the advice in Psalm 27:14: “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”
Your culture, skills, and personality simply may not fit the company. See a setback as God’s protection and keep looking. Crown’s Career Direct Assessment can help you find the job that suits you best. It will help you understand how God created you. And it works for anyone – from high school students deciding on a college major to adults late in their career looking for a change.