Larry Burkett’s Giving Checklist
Our founder, Larry Burkett, once said, “Share willingly according to God’s plan, but be discerning and cautious as a steward. Accept nothing less than excellence for the Lord’s money.”
Here’s a checklist Larry used for giving:
1. If it’s a Christian organization, is it communicating the true message of Jesus Christ? If not, don’t get involved with them. There are other charitable organizations that do great work through secular channels.
2. Are people responding to the organization positively? Are lives being changed as a result of its input?
3. Is the organization seeking and accomplishing specific goals? If so, it should be able to explain them to you.
4. Are the lives of those in leadership positions consistent with the scriptural principles that God outlines for Christian organizations?
5. Is the organization multiplying itself, or is it dying out? Now that isn’t an absolute principle. Ask around, and be discerning. Visit them personally, especially if the decision involves a large amount of money.
6. Is there a standard of excellence along with a freedom from lavishness and waste? How much do they spend raising money? If you find an organization spending half or more of its finances in order to raise more money, question its effectiveness. Can you invest elsewhere and get a better return for God’s money?
7. Check them out with other Christian organizations like Ministry Watch.
It is more blessed to give than to receive. So pray for discernment, then give generously with joy.
And if your giving is limited because you’re overloaded with credit card debt, I recommend Christian Credit Counselors. They can create a debt management specifically for you. For more information call the Crown Helpline: 800-722-1976 or visit online at crown.org/ccc.