“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
(Ephesians 6:12 NIV)
Fighting Spiritual Warfare
by Chuck Bentley
If you’re walking with Christ and seeking to live by His financial principles, you’re going to experience spiritual warfare. This type of warfare happens in your mind and is the battle between truth and lies.
- Satan’s first plan of attack is to weaken your faith in God. He wants you to doubt God and make you believe that God doesn’t care about your finances and won’t help you.
- Next, he tempts you to compromise by offering you an alternative to trusting God. This alternative may involve risky, unethical, or immoral actions.
- He masquerades as a messenger from God. When the Assyrian king Sennacherib threatened Jerusalem, he sent a message to Hezekiah, the Israelite king, which said, “The Lord himself told me to march against this country and destroy it” (2 Kings 18:25 NIV). Anytime someone comes to you “in the name of the Lord,” compare what he or she says to the truth of God’s Word.
- Satan will attempt to focus your thoughts on your mistakes, which he will use to erode your confidence in God.
- He will try to give you a false promise of peace and prosperity. Most people desperately desire these things, and their desire gives Satan an opportunity to deceive them.
Hezekiah, did not compromise; he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth, and went into the temple. He humbled himself and sought the Lord.
By a miracle, equivalent to the power of an atomic bomb, 185,000 men in the Assyrian army died, demonstrating that the power of truth was greater than the power of a lie.
When you face spiritual warfare, humble yourself before the Lord and seek His help. Use His Word to win spiritual battles and put Satan on the run.
Daily Scripture Reading: